Shoal Cove, circa 1935
HISTORY OF UPPER BLANDFORD
PREPARED IN 1934 AS A SCHOOL PROJECT BY
Lily Zinck Grade XI
Ruby Young Grade XI
Hardy Gates Grade VIII
Scotty Young Grade VIII
Nina Gates Grade VII
Joyce Gates Grade VII
Jeanne Young Grade VI
Harvey Schnare Grade V
Coral Gates Grade V
Lily Schnare Grade V
Morley Seaboyer Grade V
Rex Gates Grade V
Queenie Gates Grade IV
Harley Seaboyer Grade V
James Meisner Grade V
Under the supervision of schoolteacher Mrs. Ethel Meisner (nee Stevens).
This book is lovingly dedicated to our forefathers. It is owing
to their perseverance that this lovely place - Upper Blandford - is our
For material used in the making of this book, the authors make grateful
|Mr. and Mrs. Warren Gates||Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Meisner|
|Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Zinck||Mrs. Wreathea Gates|
|Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius Zinck||Mr. and Mrs. William Young|
|Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Meisner||Mr. and Mrs. Ervine Seaboyer|
|Mrs. Abigal Seaboyer||Mrs. Osborne Gates|
|Mrs. Maria Young||Mr. and Mrs. Ervine Young|
|Mrs. Milford Publicover||Mrs. Creighton Zinck|
|Mr. and Mrs. Ainslie Gates||Mrs. Anna Zinck|
|Mr. Alonzo Baker||Mr. Miriam Cleveland|
|Mr. Robert Schnare||Mr. and Mrs. Emmanuel Schnare|
|Mr. Austin Zinck||Mr. Roy Meisner|
This book has been written so that the coming generations may know the history of the early days of Upper Blandford. Many of the stories of past events has already died with the death of the older residents, and it is with the desire that as much as possible of what is left may be preserved, that this book is humbly written.
June 19, 1934.
|1. First People|
|2. Growth of Settlements|
|4. Schools of the Past|
|5. Schools of To-day|
|8. Food, Clothes, and Lights|
|10. Public Buildings|
|11. Post Office|
|12. Prominent People|
|15. Flowers and Trees|
|17. Beauty Spots|
|Attachment: History of Rose Bay|
The first white people who came to Blandford were the Irish. Probably
they came directly from Ireland, but this we do not know. They came
about the year 1750. According to the census of 1767, taken from
Governor Franklin's return, there were on Blandford in that year:
41 men, 19 boys, 19 women, 16 girls, 72 Protestants, 23 Roman Catholics, 62 English, 22 Irish, 3 oxen and bulls, 8 cows, 10 young neat cattle, 60 swine, 18 fishing boats, 4 schooners and sloops, 508 quintals dry codfish, 1109 barrels of salmon, mackerel, etc., 1 barrel of oil.
The surnames of some of the first people were: Murphy, Keating, Carroll,
Fannen, Riley, Hollehorn.
Hon. Mr. Cochran, a returned soldier, was given, instead of a pension, a grant of land extending from Deep Cove to Tilley's Cove.
The next men to come around 1809 were:
George Zinck, John Meisner, Jacob Zinck, Peter Gates, Casper Zinck, John Seaboyer, Peter Publicover.
These men all bought their land from Hon. Mr. Cochran. They had become dissatisfied with Holland and had moved to Rose Bay. From there they came to Blandford.
Mr. George Zinck lived near where Mr. Borden Young now lives. Mr. Jacob Zinck lived near where Mr. Lorenzo Zinck now lives. He lived in the same house, only it has been remodelled. Casper Zinck lived on the property where Mr. Will Gates Lives. Peter Publicover lived near where Mr. Edmund Zinck lives now. John Meisner live near where Mr. Ben Meisner now lives. The old Mr. Peter Gates lived near where Mrs. Peter Gates lives now. John Seaboyer lived near where Mr. Tom Zinck now lives.
These people came in 1809, from Holland to Rose Bay, and from Rose Bay to Blandford.
These people brought their lumber to build their houses, and bricks to build their chimneys, from Lunenburg, by boat.
At the time of these men, the forest came down to the water's edge.
GROWTH OF SETTLEMENT
Gradually the settlement grew. Bill Baker came from Flat Island. He lived near where Miriam Cleveland lives now. Mr. Baker died of smallpox.
Next George Young came from Ironbound. His father came there from Lunenburg. He lived near Borden Young's home.
James Cleveland lived near Robert Rafuse's present home, on New Harbour road.
Robert Schnare came from Chester Commons. He lived with Mr. and Mrs. Fanning and took care of them when they were old. When they died, he received their property. Mr. Cyrus Eaton now owns that land.
Ben Boutilier shot George Awalt accidentally. The boys had come
to Isaac Meisner's, from Bayswater, to find out when their barley flour
would be ground. They intended to go hunting. So both boys
had a gun with them. After they had inquired about the barley flour,
Awalt went out the door, Boutilier following with his loaded gun in his
hand. The gun struck the door and went off. The shot hit Awalt
and killed him almost instantly.
The witness to the shooting way a baby and a fourteen year old son, who were in the kitchen.
Awalt's relatives tried to have Boutilier hung. They went to the law, but nothing could be proved against Boutilier, because the only witness was too young to take an oath. So it was accepted as accidental.
Some people said that the boys were hunting in the woods when the accident happened.
During the time of the Fenian Raid, about 1857 to 1866, a large warship came in Deep Cove. About five of these Fenian soldiers came ashore in a small boat. They landed near where the iron rail is now, by the mountain. Evidently they went to the "Mountain Brook" for water. While they were there some Indians came out of the woods and cruelly murdered the soldiers. Since then the hill by the brook has been called "Fenian Hill".
The Fenians (Irish soldiers) were trying to capture Canada between the years of 1857 to 1866.
A troop of men drilled on a field now owned by Morton Publicover. Among these men were Jim Gates, George Roast and Will Gates.
George Roast did not know his left foot from his right foot, so the colonel had to mark one with white chalk, so that he could tell his feet apart.
Every man that trained got a pension of $100, even though they were
not required to do actual fighting.
The first men had to cut down trees and break up the land, before they could do anything else. Then they started to farm. They farmed only on a small scale first. Later they increased their cultivated land.
The men and boys caught fish, also. As they had practically no market for fist, they caught only about enough for their own use. They considered themselves farmers, not fishermen.
The first gristmill was built in 1834. It was owned by John Meisner, who was Ben Meisner's grandfather. It was built on the north side of Deep Cove.
Grain was taken to Mr. Meisner's store by team. He took it from the store to the mill by boat. After the grain was ground into flour, he brought it back to the store by boat. The store still remains but it is in a very dilapidated state.
One fall Mr. John Meisner ground three hundred bushels of grain into flour.
Martin Meisner made hats from maple chips. The chips were split into strips from eight to ten feet long and then the width was about one half inch. Then they were pounded until they were very thin. The strips were then sew together to form a hat.
The men also made baskets. They also made moccasins from raw hide soaked in salt pickle. About every second night, these moccasins had to be soaked in pickle.
The women spun flax and wool. They did their own weaving. They had to male all their own clothing, sheets, tablecloths, towels, etc. In the evenings they made bedclothes.
Mrs. Sarah Publicover hooked the first mat on Blandford. She did not have a "frame" but hooked the mat on her lap. Instead of a hook she used a pair of scissors.
The women used brooms made of yellow birch to sweep their floors. These brooms did not sweep our corners very well, so they used goose wings for this purpose.
The women often sheared sheep. They carded and spun the wool. Many of their clothes they dyed with natural dyes, such as birch bark or onion peelings.
The candles were made at home also. Tallow from cattle was used for the main part of the candles. They bought wick yarns. Candles were made in moulds. Some moulds made six candles at a time, and other made only two or four candles at one time.
First the wicks were placed sown in the openings in the moulds. Then the tallow was poured around the wick.
Soap was also made at home, from ashes and fat. It was made by
a process of boiling. The mixture thus obtained was poured into
After the soap had cooled it was cut into squares.
The chief industries that are carried on now are much like those of long ago. They are; farming, fishing, and cutting pulpwood.
Farming is the most important industry. It is carried on to a great extent. The chief crop grown is cabbage and from cabbage is made sauer-kraut. The sauer-kraut is sold and this is the way some of the people make their living.
Fishing is also quite an important industry. There are not many people who go deep-sea fishing. The people that go are: Mr. Immanuel Schnare, Mr. LeRoy Schnare, Mr. Angus Gates, Mr. Chester Gates, Mr. George Gates, Mr. Jason Gates, Mr. Osborne Gates, Mr. Dudley Gates, Mr. Floyd Gates, Mr. Ervine Young, Mr. Perry Young, Mr. Borden Young. These people usually fish with hand lines. The in-shore fishermen usually fish with seines and nets.
An industry, which was carried on to a great extent this year for the
first time in Upper Blandford, was the cutting of pulp wood. There
were about five hundred cords cut during the past winter and landed on
the banks of Deep Cove. There will soon be a steamer coming to take
it away. Putting the pulp wood into the water gave employment to
a number of men for several days.
SCHOOLS OF THE PAST
Blandford was not always Upper and Lower Blandford. It was divided about 1883.
This section at one time was called Deep Cove. It was changed to Upper Blandford within the last ten years.
The first school was held in a spare room of an old house near where Miss Hattie Gates now lives.
The first school-house was in what has been used by Mr. Dan Publicover as a horse stable until very recently. It is now being demolished. It served as a church, hall and school.
School was the held in a building near where Mr. Peter Gates lived. The first teacher in this school was Mr. Tommy Conoriss. A first school was held in the nights.
When school was held in the day they would read a chapter from the Bible, at the opening and closing of school each day. They said Grace before and after dinner in the school-house. They had blackboards. The seats were benches. The desks were rows of tables in from of the benches. The children had to learn reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Some of the rules of the school were to go home and not play around the road. If any pupil did not behave, they were hit over the hands with a willow switch. If the pupils did not know their lessons, they had to stand in the corner and study them.
The teachers of this school were as follows: Mr. Warner, Miss Julia Fader, Mr. Williams, and Mr. Clarence McCully.
The person who reached school first made the fire.
SCHOOLS OF TODAY
The present school building was built in the year 1883. The land for the school premises was given by Mr. George Young to build the school-house.
The yard is smaller now that it was years ago, because the road has been washed away by the waves and it has been moved in further. The yard is going to be enlarged this year.
The size of the building is thirty feet by eighteen. The outside is painted white, but once it was red. On the southern side, near the school yard are many spruce trees. There are no houses near the school-house.
The interior of the school-house is painted buff with a lighter buff ceiling. There are two dark green chalkboards, and three smaller ones. There are eighteen seats for the pubils, each holding two pupils and a new desk and chair for the teacher. There are two pictures and one other one has been ordered. The one which has been sent for is "Child with Cherries". And the two we have are "Age of Innocence" and a "Junior Red Cross" picture. There are six windows in the main part and two in the windbreak. There is also a library with many books in it. The blinds on the south side go up for the bottom. There is a green waste paper basket which was presented to the school by Harley and Morley Seaboyer. The stove is in the middle of the room.
Some years ago there was a windbreak put on the long hall. It was put on so that the children who came before the fire was made would not have to stand out in the cold.
Two or three years ago, there were cement platforms made by each outside door. Before they were built there was one wooden platform at one door and at the other was a large rock.
The first teacher that taught in this school-house was Miss Mary MacQuire.
The teachers who taught after her were:
Miss Annie Mulock, Miss Bessie Hume, Mr. Oliver Acker, ?? Barkhouse, Miss Mamie ?, Miss Flossie Ernst, Miss May Evans, Miss Cora Fleet, Miss Lois Fleet, Miss Elsie Hebb, Miss Muriel Hiltz, Mrs. Hyson, Miss Hopkins, Miss Lily Kaulback, Miss Effie Mackie, Miss Mader, Mr. Joe Mills, Miss Violet Roast, Mr. Charlie Smith, Mr. George Young, Mr. Bet Publicover, Miss Alice Skerry, Mr. Arthur Boyd, Mr. Fred Hubley, Miss Ena Conrad, Miss Margaret Moxen, Miss Margaret Freeman, Miss Pauline Veino, Miss Ethel Stevens.
Traveling by water was the only means of transportation long ago, if the wanted to get to outside places. Between Blandford and East River the road was blocked by Aspotogan Mountain, and also between Bayswater and North West Cove also. So the people could not get to East River or North West Cove by walking. There was a path around Deep Cove wide enough for a person to crawl, and even then it was very dangerous. The people travelled by footpaths in Blandford.
On time Mr. George Roast brought a pair of oxen from East River to Blandford over the mountain. He went up the north side of the mountain and came down the ìRed Groundî which is a very steep part of the mountain.
When the people travelled in a boat they had to row with large oars or used sails.
The people usually got their food supplies from Halifax by boat. They went to Halifax in October and got enough supplies to last all winter, and then went again the next spring and summer.
Some year later the government gave the people money to blast away the mountain at Deep Cove and Aspotogan. Gradually the roads were improved. They first became wide enough for ox teams and horse teams.
Then cars came. The first car on Upper Blandford was owned by Mr. Ervine Young. The first truck was owned by Mr. Ervine Young.
The roads are in good condition at present. They are muddy only for a short time in the spring.
The boats now have engines in them. The first boat with an engine in it on Blandford was owned by Mr. Cyrus Young. This boat was just destroyed summer before last, but it had been owned later by several other people.
When cars first came to Blandford, the old people as well as the young
people were afraid of them.
The first church that was build was the present Church of England. Rev. James Shreve and Rev. Charles Shreve (two brothers) were the first ministers. These ministers came from Chester and held services only occasionally. They probably held services in the first school-house (Mr. Dan Publicover's barn).
The present church was built in the year 1867. The first minister that preached in this church was Rev. Richard Payne. He came here June 19, 1859, and remained here until his death in February, 1877. This man was buried under the choir of the present church. When he was buried the chancel had not been built. It was only after he died that it was built on the other part of the church. His tombstone was put into the church and it still remains there.
Before the choir loft was built the choir sang upstairs.
The Baptist church was built about 1890. The land was given by Mr. George Young, and also enough wood for the frame. The steeple was built just last year (1933).
Father Cossman was a Lutheran minister who came from Lunenburg and held church in the old cooper shop, on property now owned by Mrs. Wreathea Gates. They sang and Father Cossman preached in the German language.
Church of England Ministers:
Rev. Richard Payne, Rev. Richard Manning, Rev. Edward Roy, Rev. A. DesBrisay, Rev. Alfred A. V. Bennington, Rev. Frank W. A. Bason, rev. Charles Woods, Rev. Mitchell, Rev. Barnes, Rev. Gordon Rutter, Rev. John Payne, Rev. Bell, Rev. Samuel Trivett, Rev. Edward Band, Rev. Dobie, Rev. Smith, Rev. James Weagle, Rev. John Bamford.
Rev. Hill, Rev. Rice, Rev. Bluet, Rev. Curcireau, Mr. Mercero, Mr. DeLong, Rev. Snow
FOOD, CLOTHES, LIGHTS
In those days the food which they ate were meat, sauer-kraut, turnips, carrots, beans, greens, cucumbers and squash. Instead of eating white bread, as we do, they ate barley bread. They had one barrel of white flour, instead of as many as we have.
They would bake one loaf of white bread on Saturday for Sunday. In those time one loaf of white bread was classed as cake. One time one lady came to see another lady. The hostess brought out a loaf of white bread. The visiting lady admired her lovely cake.
When they bought molasses they bought it by the barrel or puncheon.
These people used only ten or twenty pounds of sugar a year.
They generally bought their Sunday clothes. But they did not wear those to every place they went. They wore these only part of Sunday.
They made their own shoes out of cow-hide. Their moccasins were made out of cow-hide, also. They did not shave the hair off the moccasins. Then they had to soak them in pickle once a week.
They had very queer looking lamps in those days. To me they look very much like a tin can with a spout on one side and a small pipe that went out through the chimney. The reason that they had these was because they burned cod oil. This cod oil would create an unpleasant odor,if the fumes were not carried away.
Around Blandford they hardly ever used candles. They did sometimes
use them when they went around the house in the night.
The amusements for the children long ago were: sleigh coasting, sliding, skating, Pussy in the Corner, Blind Man's Buff, and dancing.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Zinck, in their younger day were the best step dancers. On cold days, Mr. Joseph Zinck did not have on very heavy clothes while he was watching the cattle, so he learned to step dance on a rock to keep warm. There was a large flat rock near by and he was so cold that he sang and began to step dance. His is how he came to be able to dance so well. They danced mostly by "Jew's Harp" music.
The amusements for the older people were: quilting parties, spinning parties, carding (wool) parties, and molasses candy parties.
The amusements today for the younger people are hockey, baseball, swimming, birthday parties, hiking, picnics, card parties, and dancing. Dancing now included fox trots, waltzes, and polkas.
The musical instruments are: radios, guitars, organs, gramophone, violins, Jewís harp, and accordions. Boat rowing, bicycle riding and car riding are also special amusements.
Hooking parties are the chief amusements for the women in the winter.
The children also play interesting games at school.
May Days were very popular for a few years. On May Day we always used to go back in Mr. Ephraim Meisnerís pasture to pick mayflowers. We spent the best Bay Day when Miss Pauline Veinot was teaching. Cecil Gates was "May King" and Inez Young was "May Queen". We usually marched there and back. The mayflowers that we picked were sent to the children's Hospital.
On May 22, 1934, the Upper Blandford School, together with the schools
from Blandford, Bayswater, North West Cove, Mill Cove and Fox Point held
their first "Field Day" at Bayswater beach. Many of the pupils ran
races. The first prize winners from our school were Gloria Gates,
Malcolm Gates, Lily Zinck, Harley Seaboyer, Queenie Gates, Joyce Gates,
Nina Gates. There was also an exhibition of school work. The
morning was devoted to singing. Following is the musical program:
Dear Canada to Thee
Cornish May Song
Cockles and Mussels
Caroline and Her Young Sailor bold
Sing, Sing Together
The Road to the Isles
A picnic lunch was held at noon, and in the afternoon the sports took place on the beach. Although the weather was disagreeable and cold, everyone seemed to enjoy the day.
It was through the untiring efforts of Miss Helen Nichols, Helping Teacher
for Lunenburg County, and the splendid cooperation of teachers and pupils
of all the schools concerned that this Field Day took place.
The only public buildings at Upper Blandford are the Baptist Church and the school house.
The school house is situated about the middle of Upper Blandford School section.
The church is the next building to the school house. There are
trees near the back of the church and the school house. The church
is painted white outside. She schoolhouse is also white.
POST OFFICES AND EARLY MEANS OF COMMUNICATION
Long ago there was no mail brought to Blandford. All the messages were carried by man from one place to another. Then there were no letters or no papers.
The first post offices were for both Upper Blandford and Blandford. Mr. Caspar Publicover kept the first post office. He lived where Mr. Harris Publicover now lives.
The first mail driver was Mr. Henry Cleveland.
The mail was brought once a week from Hubbards. It came from Halifax to Hubbards by coach and from Hubbards to Blandford on horseback.
The one book that everyone had was the Bible. As time went on they got hymnbooks and a few other books.
Mr. Jacob Meisner kept the next post office. Then Mr. David Publicover. He lived where Mr. Morton Publicover now lives. Then Mr. George Seaboyer had it. Mrs. Ben Meisner was Mr. George Seaboyerís daughter. She acted as post mistress until her brother, Mr. Isaac Seaboyer, was old enough to do so. Between Mr. George Seaboyer and Mr. Isaac Seaboyer, they had the post office for forty years. At the present time Mr. Heman Gates has the post office in Blandford.
While Mr. George Seaboyer had the post office, a division was made, and since that time Upper Blandford has had its own post office. Mr. David Gates was the first post master in Upper Blandford. He lived where Mr. Herbert Meisner now lives. After Mr. David Gates died, Mr. Henry Gates took the post office. Mr. Henry Gates lives where Mrs. Gates still lives. At the present time Mr. Thomas Zinck has it.
Some of the papers that were taken were the "Nova Scotian", "Christian Herald", and the "Sunday Companion". The "Nova Scotian" has been changed to "The Halifax Chronicle".
Some of the mail drivers were:
Mr. Henry Cleveland, Mr. Nathaniel Zinck, Mr. Henry Publicover, Mr. Jacob Zinck, Mr. Samuel Zinck, Mr. Heman Gates, Mr. Victor Zinck.
The only doctor that has come from Blandford was Dr. Ira Gates. He is the son of Mr. Jim Gates.
Rev. Aaron Gates has been the only minister, the son of Mr. and Mrs. David Gates.
Captain Charles Publicover has been a captain for many years, and still is.
Nurses from Blandford:
Miss Princetta Harnish, Mrs. Creighton Zinck, Miss Beulah Young, Miss Zelma Young.
The teachers that came from Blandford are:
Miss Ruth Zinck, Miss Greta Zinck, Miss Gladys Zinck, Miss Margaret Publicover, Miss Inez Young, Miss Florence Young.
The following animals used to live in the Blandford area but are not found here now; wolves, bears, otters, caribou, foxes
The following domestic animals have been raised and are still being raised In Upper Blandford; cows, oxen, pigs, sheep, cats, dogs.
The following wild animals are found in this area today today:
moose, deer, mink, wild-cats, weasels and porcupine.
One day Mrs. Jemima Gates and her daughter Mrs. MacDonald were back
near the lake when they heard something in the woods. The noise frightened
them and they started for home. A few days after that Mr. Warren
Gates, Mr. Daniels Publicover, and Mrs. Henry Gates killed a bear.
The people imagined that it was the bear that Mrs. Gates and Mrs. MacDonald
heard in the woods.
The water birds of Upper Blandford are:
Loon, water pigeon, gull, water witch, long neck, mur, black duck, sea duck, harbour coat, dipper, bull bird, steering gull, kingfisher, crane.
The land birds of Upper Blandford are:
Swallow, robin, crow, yellow bird, night hawk, owl, horned owl, black robin, sparrow, guy bird, chickadee, blackbird, snipe, partridge, chicken hawk, hen hawk, bluebird, bluejay.
The tame birds of Upper Blandford are:
Parrot, lovebird, canary, pigeon.
The fowls of Upper Blandford are hens, ducks.
The different breeds of hens are Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, and
FLOWERS AND TREES
The flowers mentioned in this chapter include wild flowers and tame flowers. The tame flowers include garden plants and house plants.
The garden plants include: daffodils, lilies, cowslips, peonies, dahlias, gladiolus, snapdragons, lupines, hollyhock, rockets, snowdrops, tiger lilies, pansy, ivy, bluebells, devil in the bush, honeysuckle, tame daisies, nasturtiums, cosmos, Canterbury bells, Chinese fern, asters, canary vine, Virginia creeper, Chinese rhubarb, everlasting flowers, marigolds, California poppies, candytuft, tame buttercups, forget-me-nots, bachelor's buttons, sweet peas, morning glories, lilacs, climbing cucumber, tulips, sunflowers, pinks.
The house plants include: geraniums, seven sisters, house rose, Jerusalem cherry, rubber plant, Christmas Cactus, Easter lily, Angel wing, petunias, seven year cactus, shamrock, chrysantheum.
The wild flowers may be divided into three divisions: woods flowers, pasture flowers, and field flowers.
The woods flowers are lady slippers, trillums, and mose maple.
The pasture flowers are: violets, mayflowers, golden threads, star flowers, Jack in the pulpit, twin flowers, Solomon seal, cow lilies, pussy willows and umbrellas.
The field flowers include: daisies, buttercups, dandelions and wild roses.
The trees may be divided into two classes; the tame trees and the wild trees. The wild trees include hardwood and softwood.
The softwood trees are spruce, fir, hemlock, juniper.
The tame trees include fruit and ornamental trees.
The fruit trees are apple, cherry, pear and plum.
The ornamental trees are poplar, silver maple, willow, and horse chestnut.
The fish found in the brooks of Blandford are trout, eel, smelt, and sucker.
The fish found in the waters of Mahone Bay, just off Blandford are mackerel, herring, cod, haddock, salmon, gasperau, halibut, tuna and perch. The shell fish caught in the bay that are edible are lobsters, scallops, conk, crab, mussels, and clams.
The fish which are not edible are skate, sculpin, and a certain kind
of lump fish.
The most beautiful spot in Upper Blandford is Deep Cove. Just at present it is the most beautiful of any time of the year.
The Cove runs quite far into the mainland. When you are at the head of the Cove you cannot see out to the end because there is a curve in it. The curve reminds me of being the same shape of the road which goes around Deep Cove.
In the evening when the sun is going down just far enough it seems to be sitting on the top of the trees. The sun shines on the water and the ripples seem to be like floating pieces of gold.
The mountain on one side and end, hills on the other side with their green trees, make the water always look green in the summer-time. Deep Cove is nearly always occupied by picnickers during the lovely days of summer.
At the head of Deep Cove you can see Mr. Cyrus Eaton's summer resort. This is a very beautiful spot when all the roses, trees, and flowers are in bloom. The house is very large and beautiful. It has a verandah and two large chimneys. On each chimney there are very beautiful creepers climbing up it.
Another beauty spot in Upper Blandford is on the top of Matner's Hill. When you are on top of the hill, you can see across the bay to Chester, and many other little villages. As you go farther down the hill you can see Gates' Lake with many spruce and birch trees all around it. The road is very crooked and it seems like a snake winding through the woods. Another spot which seems very beautiful to me is on the side of what we call "The Big Bank". There is a nice green hill looking out over the pond. When the flag lilies are in bloom, it is still more beautiful.
One spot I think is very beautiful is where our Baptist Church stands. Behind it and on one side there are trees. On the other side is Mr. Ervine Young's house. On the front is the road.
The church is white and there are three windows on each side. There is a window in the back and one upstairs in front. A steeple is in the front and a chimney in the back.
Though I might seek the whole word through,
I could not find another church,
One half so dear
To me or you
As our little white Baptist Church.
(Given by some member of the community to be included in our local history.)
Blandford is a fishing village,
Situated by the sea.
Where the waters dance for joy,
And the winds are strong and free.
The coast is rough and rocky,
With inlets here and there,
Where many a boat finds shelter
Throughout the whole long year.
The homes are nestled near the sea,
Behind the forest stands,
Where the Maple spreads her glory-
The emblem of our land.
The first settlers were Irishmen
Who did not prosper here.
And about the time the Germans came
They had nearly all disappeared.
The Germans, they came from Rose Bay,
And tilled the soil again.
And the present people are the descendants
Of those hardy men.
To-day shows the improvements
That time and work have done.
The people are of good morals
And are classed as Number One.
- - - Fred Zinck
(The following is a copy, not included in the original History of Upper Blandford, but lent tous by Mrs. Cornelius Zinck. We felt that you might be interested in having it added to your personal copy of this little history, because many of the original Blandford settlers came from Rose Bay.)
PIONEERS OF ROSE BAY
By S. S. Slauenwhite
Caspar Zinck, one of the first settlers in this vicinity, was a person deserving of special mention. His name appears in several historical records linking him with those prominent with church and state. Until recently nothing definite could be established as to the exact year when these 1753 grantees who arrived in Lunenburg left that town to brave the privations of starting a home in the forest wilderness of this country district, but an old diary in possession of Jessen Rudolph, merchant of Lunenburg, gives information of a fire which devastated a part of Lunenburg town, June 6, 1772 and Caspar Zinck, John Seeburger, Nicholas Wolfe, Leonard Newfarth, John Gerhart, John Mossman and Peter Knock, lost their houses, barns, farming utensils, etc., in this fire. They were reimbursed for their losses by the government.
As all of the above mentioned located on their grants at South Rose Bay and Kingsburg, it is now generally supposed that previous to the fire of 1772, they had remained on their fifty acre farms in Lunenburg town which was a part of their inheritance for the British Government.
Caspar Zinck received a grant of 750 acres at Rose Bay near the cross roads where with his devoted helpmate, Maria Barbara, and his son, Peter, laid the foundation of a home in the forest primeval. A major part of the original Zinck farm still remains in the hands of the Zinck Descendants. The old cellar and other landmarks located on the farm of Fred Meisner still remain as a reminder of those sturdy pioneers who contributed so much to the advancement of the county. Quite recently the site of the old hallowed home was visited by a descendant, Rev. Prof. Zinck, of Waterloo College, Ontario.
Caspar Zinck died in 1798, his will being witnessed by Philip Rotenhauser, John George Bochner, and John Selig and was probated in Lunenburg in German script. A great grandson of Caspar Zinck, Peter Zinck, Jr., born in 1787, says in an interview, that his grandfather and great grandfather both came from Germany. Peter Zinck, Sr., a son of Caspar Zinck, lived with his father on the old homestead. Peter, Sr., died in 1811. His will was witnessed by George Bohner, Jacob Bohner and Francis Rudolph. He left five sons, Caspar, Philip, George, Leonard, and Peter. The first four married daughters of the late George Conrad of Rose Bay. Caspar in 1809 settled in this district (Blandford?). Peter, Jr., was married to a Miss Eminaud (Emineau) of Lunenburg and was a granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Eminaud, who with their grandchild were cruelly murdered in 1791, by two of their French compatriots, who expiated their crime on Gallows Hill, Lunenburg, having been sentenced to death by Hon. Tomas Strange, chief justice of Halifax.
Peter Jr., also left two daughters Elizabeth, wife of Henry Ritchey and Anne Maria Refuss.
There are Zincks living descended from all the sons of Peter. The name Peter seemed to be a favourite with the early settlers, there being no less than four Peter Zincks in the district. Many by their frugal and temperate habits reached a ripe old age. Lewis, Jacob, and others having passed the four score and ten mark. Mrs. Jacob Himmelman, a daughter of the late Edward Zinck is enjoying good health at 87 years.
The Zinck name has long been a respected one, represented in the professions of the Christian ministry, law, dentistry, etc.
As "Knights of the Grip", master mariners, farmers and in many other walks of life they rank among the best in the province. Lemuel C. Zinck of Rose Bay and Cornelius Zinck of Blandford are faithful servants in the municipal council of their districts.
As the Zincks in Nova Scotia are all descendants of the late Caspar
Zinck, and as many of them of the present generation doubtless have lost
trace of their genealogical history, these facts are published in the hope
that they may in some degree at least prove helpful in adding to the sum
of their knowledge of the Zinck Family Tree.
Go home "Lion"